J-Head Brake Shoe Replacement
1. Turn off and lock out the power to the mill.
2. Remove the power from the source to the drum switch.
3. Loosen the motor and lower the Drive Belt below the Motor Pulley.
4. Remove the two handles from the Motor Locknut Assembly.
5. Loosen and remove the two Motor Locknut Assembly bolts and washers from the bottom of the motor.
6. Lift the motor out and set aside (be careful, the motor weights between 35 and 40 pounds).
10. Remove the six Socket Head Cap Screws that are holding the Belt Housing to the Gear Housing.
11. Lower the Quill to it’s lowest position
12. Remove the Belt Housing from the Gear Housing (it may have a couple of roll pins between the two components.
13. You will need to lift and slightly move the assembly back to allow the timing belt to become free.
14. Slide the Spindle Pulley Bearing Sleeve assembly down through the Belt Housing. (it may have to have a little force applied to it)
15. Remove the four Compression Springs from the inside of the Belt Housing and set aside.
18. Remove the Brake Shoe Assembly and replace with the new assembly.
19. Reassemble in reverse order.
20. NOTE: Don’t forget to reinstall the drive belt. (common mistake)