The Sharp LMV is an ideal milling machine for most shops. All machines can be fitted with after market 2 or 3 axis Digital Readout Systems (Acu-Rite, Newall, Mitutoyo, or Fagor) or a 2 or 3 axis Acu-Rite Millpwr system.
- To dissipate heat in the 3 HP motor driven head, a pair of high output fans is installed. This allows the machine to work demanding jobs for extended periods without damaging the motor, belts and bearings. A unique SHARP feature.
- The motor shaft and Vari Drive pulleys are dynamically balanced, then hard-chromed this allow a vibration free milling even at high speed
Since the Vari-speed drive system is operated by sliding the Vari Drive pulley up and down the motor shaft. The motor shaft is therefore chrome-plated, and has an oil channel that is fed by a grease fitting on the lower end for self-lubricating purpose. This ensures the sliding motion is trouble free at all times. A unique SHARP feature.
- The motor shaft that drives the pulley and the spindle is subject to a lot of lateral stress. A roller bearing is installed for the lower support of the motor shaft. A unique SHARP feature.
- Beside swiveling 90 degree side to side, the head can also swivel up and down by virtue of a knuckle joint design. The new design developed by Sharp uses 6 bolts, 3 each side, that fitted into a circular T-slot milled at the inside of the over arm and secured by nuts from the outside. It secured the head tightly and offered high accuracy in milling operations.
- A matched pair of super-precision ABEC-7 angular contact bearings supports the spindle. The quill is CNC-ground to a mirror finish, and then chromed to fit the housing. Together, they insure spindle run out of no more than 0.00002” TIR- the best in the industry.
Column, Table, and Knee
- Certified MEEHANITE castings are used for superior rigidity and better dampening of vibrations
Table and saddle backlash is controlled by a double-nut design that keeps the feed screw in contact with a pair of bronze nut at all times. A unique SHARP feature.
The end of the table and saddle are mounted with thrust bearings that pre-load the feed screw, eliminating endplay for precisely controlled lateral movement.
- The end of the table and saddle are mounted with thrust bearings that pre-load the feed screw, eliminating endplay for precisely controlled lateral movement.
- Instead of hand scraping the top of the knee ways for oil retention, the matching underside of the saddle is hand-scraped. This extra step avoids having chips and dirt embedded in the knee ways and damages the sliding area.